Saving the World? Mobio has an App for that.

by Matt Klassen on January 26, 2010

The revolutionary new iPhone payment technology, Mobio, has finally made its way to North America. Already widely used in Japan and Europe, the Vancouver-based tech company Mobio Identity Systems Inc. (not to be confused with the defunct Mobio Networks of a few years ago) has developed a barcode payment system for the iPhone, effectively eliminating the need to carry credit cards. After a straightforward 5 minute installation and setup, simply point your phone at any Mobio barcode, scan, and pay. It’s just that easy.

The advantage to a system like this is primarily increased consumer security. The merchant never handles your credit card, your personal information remains safe and secure, and you retain your peace of mind amidst daily reports of widespread credit card and debit fraud. Mobio Identity Systems uses advanced cryptographical technology that develops single use codes, unique to that particular transaction that remain valid for only a short period of time.

If, by chance, the code is stolen or hacked, it will be useless to the thief, since it cannot be used again or tracked back to you. As Mobio Identity systems claim, there is “No possibility of fraud or misuse”… for now.

The system is further insulated from theft or fraud by requiring a PIN code to be entered before the Mobio barcode scanner can be activated. Users should be aware, however, that Mobio Identity Systems does not keep a record of your PIN anywhere on file. Instead, your PIN is incorporated into the complex cryptography algorithm. This means that if you lose your number there is no additional record of it, and you will no longer be able to generate codes or use the barcode app, rendering it useless.

The true genius behind this technology, in my opinion, is not just what Mobio technology can do for you, but what you can do with Mobio technology to help others. In response to the recent disaster in Haiti, Mobio Identity Systems has partnered with Habitat for Humanity as a way of not only generating awareness for Mobio technology, but providing a simple, easy, and effective way for people to contribute to the ongoing relief work in the ravaged Caribbean country. Recently, Mobio Systems completed the world’s first Mobio telethon, raising money exclusively for Haiti by encouraging iPhone users in Western Canada to scan a barcode posted on TV, allowing them to contribute to this worthy cause.

If you have the Mobio app on your iPhone, simply point it at the Habitat for Humanity barcode at the top of this post and instantly you will have done something to help relieve the pain and suffering of people around the world. It may not be saving the world, but it’s a step in the right direction.

Written by: Matt Klassen. www.digitcom.ca >. Follow TheTelecomBlog.com > by: RSS >, Twitter >, Identi.ca >, or Friendfeed >

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Share and Enjoy:
  • Reddit
  • RSS
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • Twitter
  • Wikio

Tweets that mention Saving the World. Mobio has an App for that. — TheTelecomBlog.com -- Topsy.com
January 26, 2010 at 3:42 pm
Digital fundraising drives Downtown Eastside mission | TheThunderbird.ca
October 30, 2010 at 5:47 pm
VancouverWrite
November 22, 2010 at 10:43 am
Digital fundraising drives Downtown Eastside Mission | VancouverWrite
November 22, 2010 at 10:44 am
Order your espresso with your smartphone — TheTelecomBlog.com
August 13, 2012 at 6:13 am

Mike January 26, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Sure, it’s secure for now, but if Microsoft’s issues with people continually hacking Windows have taught us anything, any software that prides itself on being secure only provides additional incentive for people to hack into it, let alone the financial incentive.

I think it’s an interesting concept, but I honestly don’t know if I’d feel comfortable to have my iPhone act as my credit card.

Dave Wilding January 26, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Interesting! I have seen this barcode thing in a few magazines and wondered exactly what it does. I didn’t realize it was a pay thing though, always seemed like a cool free thing to download. Thanks for the excellent explanation that the rest of us can understand.

Candice Green January 26, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Great idea, thanks for sharing, will totally check it out!

Candice Green January 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Great Idea! Thanks for sharing.

Adel January 26, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Sweet, gotta try it.

Fiona January 26, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Is there anything now that the iPhone can’t do? This is insane! I haven’t heard of this tech before, but it sounds incredibly cool. I suppose it was only a matter of time before a company came up with an App like this, but good for Mobio to step up with such a practical way to use it to help Haiti. Thanks for this, it’s a great post.

jasmine January 26, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I heard about this last week on the news. It looked ingenius, a great way to help the people of Haiti and yet keep my credit card info safe.

Grimlock January 27, 2010 at 7:50 am

Now if only they’d make an “app” for writing abominable techno-prose.

Oh, wait.

-G.

Joe January 28, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Glad to see that “big business” ventures are stepping up.
I’m not a “techie” by any means (my cell phone is seriously outdated) yet I appreciate knowing that one can help others simply by pointing their phone at a barcode. A totally new phenomenon for me.
Well done and stated.

Beth October 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Hi Matt,

Would it be alright for me to quote you in my article about Mobio in an article for the Thunderbird? (http://thethunderbird.ca/)

I am talking about the partnership between Mobio and the Union Gospel Mission for donation forms via Mobio apps.

Let me know at my email, thanks.

Beth