I just received a 12% fee increase on my Rogers phone bill.

by Jeff Wiener on February 5, 2010

The beautiful part of maintaining a public blog is that I can, on occasion, use this medium as a personal bitch session. I don’t do it often, but, when I do it usually raises a few red flags and the problem gets taken care of quite quickly.

For those of you that have been following TheTelecomBlog.com for some time you might remember a post I did in October titled: My wife is moving us from Bell to Rogers. The switch happens Sunday night. Let’s see how it goes. You can read that post here.

Needless to say, the process was painful, and made more comical by my posting the events on the blog and Rogers reaction to my articles. The post caught the eye of Rogers senior management and they assisted the balance of the installation through to successful completion. I have been left with this nagging feeling though that the poor, non Telecom (and non blog writing) consumer would feel helpless in these situations.

I was also left with the impression that the Rogers marketing and social media department is very ON THE BALL. I’m posting this on Friday morning and I will no doubt get an email in the next 2 hours from their marketing department offering to assist this process through.

BUT, I am not going to accept their offer.

AND, what’s my complaint this time ?

I signed up for the Rogers service and received our first Rogers invoice in early November. At that time Rogers offered some incentives for us to switch to their service. Those incentives included a 12 month reduced cable and phone fee. We chose the “Classic Phone Value Plan” which included a $24.95 / month rate plus some other switching incentives for the next 12 months

Then, 3 months after receiving our first Rogers invoice we receive an “IMPORTANT INFORMATION” notice informing us that our $24.95 monthly rate would be increased to $27.95 on March 1, 2010.

I SAID PARDON !!

They obviously sent this to us in error. Right.

Wrong.

Take a look at the letter. It’s personally addressed to me.

Here’s what Rogers wrote:
We’re working hard to give you the best experience, and we’re continually investing in our technology to provide you with services that meet your evolving needs. In order to do that, we must occasionally make adjustment to our rates.

As of March 1, 2010 the monthly service fee for your Rogers Home Classic Value Plan is increasing by $3.00. Rest assured, all other aspects of your service will remain the same.

You have the ability to choose the plan that’s right for you and the exibility to change your plan at any time.

What’s the first thing that strikes you about the above letter ?

What the hell does “exibility” mean ?

Well yes, that’s one question. The next is, what happened to my original contract ? Why is Rogers making me have to call them to complain about this ? Don’t they have record of my 12 month contract and rate ? What gall does a monopoly organization like Rogers have in increasing their rate by over 10% in the middle of a recession ? With 2 months notice !

They’re investing in their technology so they need to increase my rate by over 10% !!! And that’s how Rogers justifies raping the consumer ? This is BULLSHIT.

Now this time I don’t want any help from the Rogers marketing department. I want to take care of this issue myself. So, I am going to call the Rogers customer service department, record the call, and print the dialogue on this blog.

Curious ? You can read the follow-up post here

Written by: Jeff Wiener. www.digitcom.ca. Follow TheTelecomBlog.com by: RSS, Twitter, Identi.ca, or Friendfeed

Rogers Customer Service Department response to 12% increase in rates — TheTelecomBlog.com
August 13, 2012 at 3:48 am
Rogers All Set To Shrink Local Calling Areas On March 15th — TheTelecomBlog.com
August 13, 2012 at 3:51 am
Bell, Rogers, Yak, Comwave, Vonage, Primus, Telehop – who offers the best home phone value and which provider should you choose ? — TheTelecomBlog.com
August 13, 2012 at 3:51 am

{ 10 comments }

Jordan Richardson February 5, 2010 at 6:25 am

Wow. They actually misspelled “flexibility.” What a bunch of wankers.

Nabeel February 5, 2010 at 8:36 am

I just got the same notice and I just signed up as well last July. I called Rogers and they said TOUGH LUCK.

Good luck with your fight Jeff.

Matt February 5, 2010 at 9:32 am

This will be very interesting. It is so sad to see so many people still using Bell and Rogers services, if more people left maybe these guys would try harder to satisfy customers.

There is competition for cellular and Internet and their rates are lower than what you pay even with a ‘bundle’ discount from Bell or Rogers. I suggest you switch everything but the TV over once this is through.

Potos February 5, 2010 at 9:44 am

Jeff, I feel you pain.
If you can’t get out of the contract then use your “exibility” to switch to the lowest plan for the remaining term; you’ll lose some features, but Rogers won’t get extra $4, the difference between basic and classic. It is not that $4 really matter, what matters is how greedy corporations treat theirs customers with no shame whatsoever.

Tammy Flores February 5, 2010 at 10:17 am

That’s a huge problem. People sign a contract and believe they are safe with that deal for the extent of the contract. WRONG!!! These guys can do what ever they want, when ever they want, but it is the consumer that is trapped. NO MORE CONTRACTS!!!

Rob Spicer February 5, 2010 at 11:42 am

It’s unfortunate how one-sided these kinds of customer contracts have become. No doubt if you wanted to cancel your mobile agreement there would be substantial penalties involved.

You could always put in SIP Trunks to your business, allocate a couple DIDs to your home location and run VPN capable IP Phones at home to avoid all of this 😉

It will be interesting to hear their response.

Joel February 5, 2010 at 11:57 am

Yup, sounds like the Rogers I used to know, but never ever loved. You may know that Rogers has spearheaded the “don’t pay a TV tax” or however the wording goes. Not so much telecom related, but is just typical Rogers style. They complain the big television networks want to charge extra carriage fees to help with their struggling advertising shortfalls. Rogers is all over them for this, and calls it blasphemy and nickel and diming its customers. Funny how Rogers, Bell, Telus, Shaw doesn’t tell you about the nickel and diming in their respective industries through the years. Hope the big networks raised this issue in the recent CRTC hearings.

Matt Klassen February 5, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Come on Jeff! You’re being way too rigid on this issue. You should really try to be more “exible”. HA! This kind of nonsense is what I have come to expect from Rogers…come to think of it, it’s what I now expect from every Canadian telecom company.

Jason Bourne February 11, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Stop complaining and take them to court. All the complaining in blogs, forums or bathroom walls is not going to make a difference. What choice do you have? Either bow down and pay it, don’t pay it or take it to court.

Jordan Richardson February 12, 2010 at 6:51 am

Taking a company like Rogers to court would be an expensive, time-consuming prospect that would wind up costing a hell of a lot more than any price increase that every customer for the company undergoes. Beyond which, I’m sure somewhere in the fine print of the advertisement (of all advertising, in fact) is that little notation that lets companies get away with anything: “Terms and Conditions Apply.”

The fact is that the fine print is where companies hide this sort of thing. Was Rogers being dishonest? Absolutely. But were they doing anything illegal? Nope. As unethical as Rogers is, they’ve covered the legal tracks for long enough to know that they can impose these increases and they will. The devil is in the details.

By the way, I’m looking forward to your next movie, Mr. Bourne.

Comments on this entry are closed.