Vimeo launch on-demand service to offer Canadians movies online

by Andrew Roach on March 13, 2013

With the growing range of on-demand video services such as Netflix enjoying such a high-demand at the moment, it seems that as many parties are trying to jump on the ship as possible.

Well, video hosting site Vimeo has now looked to join the club with the launch of their own online on-demand service.

The site will host movies made by local producers who will get the chance to load their content onto the site with many Canadian producers already lining p to place their content on the service.

Vimeo will look to take on the like s of streaming giants such as Netflix and even other video sites such as YouTube who launched their own Canadian on-demand service back in 2011.

The service was launched at the site’s event at SXSW in Texas earlier this week when they showed off the new feature that had been the cause of some hype over the past few weeks.

On Vimeo’s new on-demand service, producers can upload their own content which will be priced individually depending on the type and length of content.

Vimeo has promised that the content will be tailored to each country which means that many independent Canadian directors will be able to show off their films on a major site.

In fact, several major Canadian directors are already looking to include their films on the service when it launches. For example, Jeremy Jones will launch his well received snowboarding film Further onto the service whilst animated film It’s Such A Beautiful Day will also be available to download.

The service will also look to give money back to help support independent films with directors receiving a 90% cut of the price of the film with the other 10% going back to Vimeo.

On it’s launch, films such as Further will cost $9 for someone to own whilst an animated feature such as It’s Such A Beautiful Game which costs $6 to download permanently.

Even though Vimeo might be a bit late to the on-demand service, their support of the independent scene will certainly be a hit and allow Canadian films to get further exposure and support online.

Did you like this post ? TheTelecomBlog.com publishes daily news, editorial, thoughts, and controversial opinion – you can subscribe by: RSS (click here), or email (click here).

Written by: Andrew Roach www.digitcom.ca. Follow TheTelecomBlog.com by: RSS, Twitter, Facebook, or YouTube.

{ 1 trackback }

Vidyard looks to create private video hosting networks — TheTelecomBlog.com
May 29, 2013 at 6:06 am

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Previous post:

Next post: